Based on IP-based SIGTRAN/SCTP protocol, Link Replacement is a SS7 over IP transport solution that "tunnels" SS7 messages across an IP connection transparently.
Whether due to geographic restrictions or lower quality transmission facilities, all signaling networks today are not created equal. In such environments, reliable transport of SS7 messages becomes a significant and costly challenge for service providers.
Operators are often forced to lease costly dedicated T1/E1 transmission facilities for long haul SS7 signaling. PT's SEGway Link Replacement solution offers a solution for operators facing these challenges.
Acting like SS7 over IP modems, Link Replacement systems offer numerous unique capabilities that deliver essential value for the operator.
- Link Replacement systems require no point code. They are transparent in an operator’s network. No network re-architecture or switch translations required.
- Designed to operate reliably in high latency networks – up to 700ms. Satellite or lower QOS IP networks become an option for SS7 transport.
- More efficient bandwidth utilization lowers cost of transport. Only payload SS7 messages are transported across a connection, filler messages are removed.
- IP multi-homing offers an added layer of network reliability not available on traditional signaling networks.
- Simple to configure. Once configured, no maintenance required.
- SEGway 1101 Product Sheet: Link Replacement Device